LOCAL | 843-407-7757
TOLL FREE | 888-341-3469

Photo of attorney - Rose Mary Parham

Traffic misdemeanors in South Carolina could land you in jail

On Behalf of | Feb 12, 2017 | Uncategorized

Many times, traffic tickets are taken lightly. However, they can adversely affect one’s insurance rates and driving privileges. Traffic tickets are considered misdemeanors and include such things as driving without a license, speeding and not wearing a seatbelt. You may not realize it, but such petty misdemeanors are categorized as criminal violations. Therefore, traffic offenses also follow similar legal procedures.

Reckless driving is the operation of a vehicle in a manner that exhibits wanton or intentional disdain of the wellbeing of others or property. This traffic offense can mean a jail term of not more than one month alongside fines of up to $200. In addition, your license may be suspended if it is your second misdemeanor in less than five years.

In most cases, points get added to your driver’s license record every time you are found guilty of a gross misdemeanor. Typically, point accumulation results in the suspension of your license for up to three months if you accumulate between 12 and 15 points on your license. A six-point traffic violation such as speeding may result in the automatic suspension of your driver’s license. If you are a first-time traffic offender, there are certain avenues that you can use to avoid the suspension of your driver’s license.

Traffic misdemeanor arrests are often addressed by administrative and criminal proceedings. The latter only commences after you have previously been charged by a criminal court. This means that your first task will be to address any pending criminal issues. You may opt to seek legal help so that the charges may be dismissed. This can spare you an impending incarceration. However, you will still be fined. An administrative proceeding will be initiated if you are a first-time offender. Generally, it doesn’t result in the mandatory suspension of your license.

It is recommended that you contact an attorney, who can help you fight for your rights. An experienced attorney may be able to get the charges against you dropped or reduced.